A few summers ago I came across a recipe for Pan Seared Scallops with Mango and Black Bean Salsa from Dani Spies over at Clean & Delicious. This super quick and super easy-to-make dish is one of my favorite go to meals during the summer. So when I woke up this January morning to single digit temperatures and double digit wind speeds, I thought, "why not bring a little summer to winter?"
About this time every year I tend to get the winter blues; if you live in a winter climate that statement certainly doesn't require any further explanation. Endless days of being cooped up indoors and days without even a hint of the sun has a way of bringing you down.
To brighten up the day (just look at all the colors in that salsa) and my mood, I decided to put together this healthy and bright meal packed with so many of the nutrients that we all need. It takes minutes to put together, and what I really love is that the salsa can be made ahead of time, and the scallops seared (takes about 5-6 minutes) when you're ready to enjoy your meal.
Check out the Clean & Delicious page for Dani's recipe video which includes tips on how to sear the scallops so they come out just right!
- 1 mango chopped
- 1/2 of a large red onion finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped (oops! I didn't have a pepper so I used tomato instead)
- 1/2 jalepeno pepper finely diced (or more if you like a lot of heat)
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 2 T fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed
- juice from 1 lime
- scallops / oil / butter / salt & pepper